Respect + Recognize + Reward + Reinforce + Relationships = Results™
Jostens Renaissance Education has a fundamental focus on attitudes, actions and resources that can improve attendance, graduation rates, academics, behavior and school culture.
Dr. Phil Campbell, a 16-year educator and three-time Educator of the Year with a passion for teaching from the heart, has made it his career’s mission to empower students and make them feel like they matter. Campbell’s Ph.D thesis research revealed that when a student feels seen, heard and loved, they are going to want to show up every day and are more likely to perform well.
Impact Found Close to Home
Through research for his dissertation, Campbell found that Renaissance Education had a statistically significant impact on graduation rates — an average increase of 7.1% for all the schools included in the study. What’s more is that every school also reported a more positive school culture and climate as a result of the program.
Personally, he was ecstatic to see improvement in the high school in Tennessee that he called home as an educator for many years. Here are some of the results:
- Student attendance rates increased to more than 95%—an all-time high in the more than 100-year history of the school.
- Student discipline rates decreased by more than 80%.
- Graduation rates increased from 81.5% to 92.9%—yet another school record.
Let’s put that into perspective. According to a study by Johns Hopkins University, the national high school graduation rate had reached an all-time high of 86.4% as of 2017.
Furthermore, the study goes on to say that “Despite these gains, progress has slowed, signaling the need for a concerted and coordinated response at the national, state, community, and school levels to meet the needs of every young person and close remaining gaps.”
Improvement Seen Across all School Types
Improvement of student attendance and academics is seen in school after school that uses Renaissance Education.
- At Summerville High School, SC, the number of students receiving academic awards increased from 384 to 574 between 2019 and 2020. Additionally, teacher retention increased from 80.6% to 95% since they began utilizing Renaissance.
- Horizon Middle School, CO, saw the number of students who earned a 3.0 GPA or higher for the school year increase from 397 in 2014 to a staggering 1,753 in 2020. There was also an average of a 3-12% increase in test scores across all subjects.
- Greenbrier High School, TN, reported an increase of composite ACT score from 19.5 to 21.3 over a three-year span.
- Marshall County High School, TN, saw a similar increase in composite ACT scores: from 17.7 to 20.4.
These schools are just a few examples of what happens when a student feels seen, heard, and loved. It’s what happens when a school culture makes them feel like they matter. They aren’t simply a number in a spreadsheet or a test score that did or did not make the cut. The school culture makes students and educators happier and, as a result, more likely to show up and try hard.
“It’s easy to lose sight of your ‘why’ as an educator,” Campbell said. “But when you find a formula that builds powerful relationships and the foundation for academic success, well that’s a pretty extraordinary ‘why’”
The numbers tell a compelling story. When Jostens Renaissance Education is implemented, positive things happen. It’s not complicated. It’s not expensive. It’s not a trendy educational program. It’s a formula and a philosophy that breeds success.
WANT TO USE JOSTENS RENAISSANCE?
If you are a Jostens customer and you need a login to access all the resources on JostensRenaissance.com, email your rep or click here.
If you don’t currently partner with Jostens for yearbooks or graduation regalia or other celebratory products, you can learn more here.