Invite your school community to bring lawn chairs or picnic blankets to your school’s green space on the first Friday of each month for Lunch on the Lawn for a great way to have students and Staffulty interact outside of the classroom! Each month the numbers will grow and make this a popular and easy to do activity. Make it a bigger deal by playing music and bringing out lawn games like bag toss and giant Connect Four™ to really make an event your community will look forward to each month!
School type: High school, middle school
Activity goal: Build relationships between Staffulty and students.
Prep time: One week
People required: One Staffulty member to plan and announce the days
Space requirements: Green space, lawn, or quad.
Timing: The first Friday of the month’s lunch period, or any time that works for your school.
Materials: Lawn chairs or blankets, speakers or radio for music, and lawn games.
Submitted by: Dr. Farah Ortega-Choate, La Quinta Middle School STEM Academy
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LUNCH ON THE LAWN:
- Select which day of the month you will host Lunch on the Lawn.
- Select your location for Lunch on the Lawn. This should be on open space like your quad.
- Start promoting Lunch on the Lawn with posters or a morning announcement.
- Set up the lawn games and music before lunch.
- Have students and Staffulty attendees bring their own chairs and picnic blankets in the quad.
- Enjoy Lunch and the Lawn and watch it grow each month!
- Have the yearbook take photos and use them to promote the next Lunch on the Lawn!
- Give shout outs to the Staffulty who did attend, which will encourage others to attend next month.
- Invite local businesses to provide a special lunch extra (ice cream, soda, etc.) or other giveaways!
WANT ACCESS TO MORE SCHOOL CULTURE IDEAS FROM JOSTENS RENAISSANCE?
If you don’t currently partner with Jostens for yearbooks or graduation regalia or other celebratory products, you can learn more here.