“A Night to Remember” tells the story of a very special prom night for students of Portland High School in Portland, Tennessee. The school’s Renaissance students planned a group “promposal” and then escorted members of the special needs classes to a prom developed especially for them, with less lights and noise, carefully selected meal options, and more special care. Phillip and Tara Campbell attended a session at the Jostens Renaissance National Conference that gave them the idea, and they found plenty of support from students, parents, and local businesses to make it happen without costing the school budget a penny.
- A local church provided their fellowship hall for the event space.
- The school’s cosmetology department did hair, nails and makeup.
- A tuxedo shop in Nashville donated the tux rentals and some of the gowns.
- A friend with a coach bus business provided transportation.
- A parent of one of the students took professional photos at a nearby park.
- The school’s prom team provided decorations.
- A local caterer donated the food.
Renaissance group members reported that they enjoyed the experience more than their “regular prom.” The school continues this tradition every year, with enthusiastic support from the community.
For more details, log in and check out the Idea Exchange PDF on holding a Special Prom.